There are times that a claim needs to be voided on the payer end, for one reason or another. In order to advise the client about the void claim, you'd need to send a Void Claim Indicator. There are multiple indicators with different meanings:
- 1 = Original Claim Submission
- 6 = Corrected Claim
- 7 = Replacement Claim
- 8 = Void Claim
Apex is able to send these claims, however you will need to follow a few steps in order for our system to make the necessary changes.
ICN or Payer Control Number
- The first step is to find the ICN, if the claim was denied, or the Payer Control Number if the claim was rejected. The ICN is found on your EOB, located under the Deduct column.
- If you did not receive an EOB for the claim, meaning it was rejected, then you can search for the Payer Control Number in the Claim Status Tab. For help understanding how to find that tab, click here.
- Once you've found the claim, click anywhere on the claim line, and it will drop down with information. To the far right of the line, located underneath the Action button, there is a column called Payer Control Number.
Edit the Claim
Once you have either the ICN or Payer Control Number, you will then want to make 2 edits on the claim.
- Add information to box 19
- Place ICN/Payer Control Number in box 22
In this box you will need to put the information VOIDCLAIM.
This will allow our system to change the original claim indicator from '1' to '8', allowing the claim to be marked as a void claim. You will need to make sure that it is written EXACTLY as above, else the claim will go out incorrectly.
In this box, located towards the right of box 19, input the ICN or Payer Control Number that you found.
- This will notify the payer which claim is being voided and to not allow it to continue down the payment process.
Once you have made the changes, click the Resubmit Claim button, and it will be sent to the payer.